Why A Breast Lift & Not Just An Augmentation Is In Demand
- Gravity affects everybody! Parts of our body tend to start to sag over the years. Breasts, sitting up perkily as they do in our earlier years, are no different and are subject to the same downward forces. And like other body parts, breast sag cannot be remedied through muscle strengthening and toning. And the heavier the breasts are, the more they will sag over the years.
- Women who have gone through pregnancy and childbirth undergo noticeable changes in the look and feel of their breasts and hence can be more prone to sagging.
- One of the common mistakes and misconceptions that we see when it comes to Breast Augmentation Surgery is patients trying with implants alone to lift and revive breasts that already suffer from too much sag. While this can work quite well for very mild degrees of sagging, it could simply make the issue much, much worse in others with more sagging. Where breast sag is already pronounced, adding extra weight to the breasts by way of implants simply puts more strain on the already-weakened supporting ligaments and in a very short time contributes to even more sag rather than less.
Unfortunately, some clinics don’t explain this issue fully to their patients, resulting in people who are even unhappier with their breasts after surgery than before.
Admittedly, a Breast Lift (known as a ‘Mastopexy’) takes much longer than a straightforward Breast Augmentation and therefore is more expensive. This means that people struggling to afford the greater cost of a Breast Lift can be vulnerable to being talked into a Breast Augmentation when it’s not the appropriate and best procedure to do. There is a greater risk of this happening if the clinic doesn’t do Breast Lifts or if the clinic heavily discounts and rather than lose the patient by referring them elsewhere for a Breast Lift, they recommend implants only – and usually overly large, fake looking implants in a futile attempt to try and correct the sag.
At Breast Excellence, we help patients determine very simply whether they will require a Breast Lift (Mastopexy), a Breast Lift + Augmentation or a Breast Augmentation alone and the patient can then make an informed decision about how to proceed.
What are the basic Differences between the Breast Procedures:
- Breast Augmentation with Implants is all that is required if the patient does not have any sag and is simply looking to increase the size of their breasts.
- A Breast Lift is called a ‘Mastopexy’. It involves tightening the skin of the breast that has, over time, lost elasticity. A Mastopexy lifts the entire breast but does not make it bigger. If the patient is happy with their breast size and just want to correct the sagging, only a Mastopexy is required. Mastopexy procedures take longer to do compared to a Breast Augmentation without a Lift.
- Breast Lift (Mastopexy) PLUS a Breast Augmentation with Implants will be required if you ALSO want to increase the size of your breasts at the same time as a Lift. This combined procedure is called an ‘Augmentation Mastopexy’. It is a more involved and longer procedure than a simple Mastopexy.
To learn more about breast lifts and the services offered by Breast Excellence Australia who provided these insights to ‘I Am Unique’ you can visit their website here: https://www.breastexcellence.com.au/